A to Z Index:


Fordoun Stone

A Pictish cross-slab found in the chapel in 1872.

Cross carved in relief with deep hollows between the arms and interlace in the centre. On the top arm of the cross can be seen the lower part of a fish monster. The bottom arm of the cross is a panel containing a horseman carrying a spear.

The inscription on the upper left corner of the stone reads PIDARNOIN. It is written in a script current in Early Christian Scotland.

The base of the cross is flanked by horsemen forming part of a hunting scene; while an elaborate double disc and Z-rod is located immediately below the cross. Note the ornate ends of the spear or Z-rod.

Directions

  • Grid ref: NO 726 784 - Ordnance Survey Landranger Series sheet no. 45

5 miles N of Laurencekirk, In S end of Auchenblae, W of the A94: in the church with the tower.