Rodney Stone, Brodie
The stone was found in 1781 when digging the foundations of Dyke Church. It is claimed that it was named after Admiral Rodney's victory over the Count de Grasse at the Battle of the Saints in 1782, but it seems more likely that the name came from 'Rotteny', the gravedigger who found it.
The front bears a cross carved in relief and flanked by intertwined serpents, while on the back are two fish-monsters, and the Pictish beast and double disc and Z-rod symbols.
Note the high relief of the carvings and the care with which the whole stone has been dressed.
These features indicate that this stone was carved later than the simpler, incised symbol stones, during the period when the Picts had been Christianised. The remains of an ogham inscription can be seen near the base of the stone, on the side angles.
- Grid ref: NH 984 576 Ordnance Survey Landranger Series sheet no. 27
3 miles W of Forres, turn N off A96 for Brodie Castle. Stone is in Castle grounds in the care of The National Trust for Scotland.