What is the domestic abuse team?
The domestic abuse team supports victims of domestic abuse and their children.
The team is part of the social work service - the outreach workers are social workers. The team also works with Grampian police domestic abuse liaison officers, health, housing and Women’s Aid.
How can the domestic abuse team help you?
The team supports victims who are in an abusive relationship and trying to leave, by:
- offering one to one support to address issues around your relationship and domestic abuse
- helping you make a plan to leave if you want to
- helping you to get advice on finding a safe place to live
- helping you to access legal advice and benefits
- increasing your self-confidence to enable you to leave
- offering you advice and information regarding services
The team also supports victims who have left an abusive relationship, by:
- providing a security check of your new home and safety equipment
- advising on benefits and housing
- helping families rebuild their lives
- referring you to a Domestic Abuse Support Group so you can talk to other victims and rebuild your confidence
- advising and supporting parents whose children have witnessed domestic abuse, and are finding the changes in their life hard to cope with
How can the domestic abuse team help your children?
The team's children’s family support worker supports children who are in the women’s refuge, in homeless accommodation or in the community, by:
- assessing the child or young person’s needs and offering play sessions. These may be held at school, in the home or in a family centre. The sessions let the child have fun and make sense of what has happened to them and their family. Giving them a chance to talk about the domestic abuse and how they feel about the abuser
- advising the parent how to support the child at home and at school
- offering group work
If you would like to make use of this service, please contact:
Children's family support worker
Domestic Abuse Team
Ellon Police Office (map)
Tel: 01358 725756
For more information about this service please read our leaflet about the domestic abuse team:
This leaflet is also available in Polish and Russian versions:
- Domestic abuse team leaflet - Polish version (pdf 123kb)
- Domestic abuse team leaflet - Russian version (pdf 153kb)