Job-Related Dwellings

Where you own or rent a property but live in another property due to reasons of your employment, you may apply for a discount where the following conditions are met:

  1. Where it is necessary for the proper performance of the duties of the employment that the employee should reside in that dwelling
  2. Where the dwelling is provided for the better performance of the duties of the employment, and it is one of the kinds of employment in the case of which it is customary for employers to provide dwellings to employees(e.g. caretakers, janitors, agricultural workers, clergy, etc), or
  3. Where, there being a special threat to the employee's security, special security arrangements are in force and the employee resides in the dwelling as part of those arrangements

Note, if the dwelling is provided by a company and the employee is a director of that or an associated company, (point 1) and (point 2) above do not apply unless either:

  • The employee is a full time working director
  • The company is non-profit making, i.e. it does not carry on a trade nor does its functions consist wholly or mainly in the holding of investments or other property, or
  • The company is established for charitable purposes only

To apply for a discount, please complete and return the form below, ensuring that you also provide the evidence (as requested on the application form) when returning your completed form:

Alternatively, contact your Council Tax Team on 03456 08 12 01 who will help with your enquiry.


Help us improve