Person(s) named on the Council Tax Bill
The person or people named on the front of the bill is/are responsible for paying the Council Tax for the property. This will be the person who falls into the first category that applies in the following list:
- Resident owner - someone who owns the property and lives in it
- Resident tenant - someone who rents the property and lives in it
- Sub-tenant - someone who rents the property and lives in it
- A resident
- The owner - if the property is not subject to a lease and no-one lives in the property
Two or more person(s) jointly liable
If there are two or more owners or tenants, they will be jointly responsible for paying the Council Tax, even if we only send the bill to one of them.
You are both, individually and together, responsible for making sure that your Council Tax is paid in full if:
- you have a husband or wife, or you live with someone as if you were married
- you and someone else are joint owners/tenants of a property
This includes same sex couples who have entered into a Civil Partnership or those who live together as a couple but who have not entered into a Civil Partnership.