The Local Studies Department is based at Aberdeenshire Libraries headquarters in Oldmeldrum and is open to the public, by appointment Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
For enquiries, which are undertaken by Local Studies Department staff, the first half-hour of research will be carried out without a charge for staff time. Thereafter an hourly charge will be incurred. There will also be a charge for any materials photocopied (subject to copyright regulations)and postage if required.
Books on local subjects and by local authors including histories, fiction and poetry
Family history resources
A variety of resources to help with family history searches are available from our libraries.
Aberdeenshire Libraries has an archive of all local newspapers currently published, both bound and microfilmed and an extensive historical archive of local newspapers. Where possible the archives of the newspaper are made available on microfilm at the nearest relevant library. The Fraserburgh Herald from 1884 to 1920 is available online
- Local newspapers and libraries where located (pdf 131kb)
- Fraserburgh Herald - searchable online Fraserburgh Herald archive from 1884 to 1920
- Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 25 inch to the mile)
- Maps from late 19th century onwards
- Ordnance Survey 1st edition (circa 1870s) and 2nd edition (circa 1902) on CD-Rom
- Maps are also available to view online from the National Library of Scotland
- George MacDonald collection
- Strichen Estate collection