MGC Registered Museum
Visit one of Scotland's oldest Museums, founded in 1828. See an electro-type copy of the Deskford Carnyx, a unique 2000-year-old war trumpet, as well as:
- Award-winning natural history display
- Local geology
- Nationally-important collections of Banff silver
- Arms and armour
Opening Hours 2013
Closed for refurbishment. Date to be announced when opening for summer.
Opening in partnership with two community organisations. Please call 01771 622807 for further details.
The community organisations are willing to open especially for school groups etc. Please give prior notice by contacting us at HQ on 01771 622807, and we will in turn contact them to arrange an opening.
Parking: between Low Street and High Street, entry on Low Street - footpath leads directly to High Street.
Access: partial access for wheelchair users to ground floor only.
Banff Museum is participating in the BBC and the British Museums online project - A History of the World. One of the objecst that Aberdeenshire Museums Service has chosen from the vast collections of Aberdeenshire Council is the Banff silver teapot, which forms part of the Banff Silver collections.
Silver waisted bullet-style teapot, made by an unknown Banff silversmith circa 1715-20. This teapot is one of the oldest surviving silver teapots in Scotland and is one of the largest existing pieces of Banff silver. The quality of this teapot illustrates that the Banff silversmiths were capable of producing sophisticated silverware equal to that being produced in Edinburgh.
From the 1680s to the 1880s there was a succession of twenty-four silversmiths working in Banff, who produced a variety of silver goods including mugs and cutlery. It is a mystery why so many silversmiths worked in the town but a clue may rest with the mercantile shipping trade and wealthy local benefactors in the Lairds of Banffshire.
See local finds and learn about the Carnyx, a 1st century Celtic war trumpet found near Banff in the 19th century. The original is now on loan to the National Museums of Scotland, but a replica made in the 1800s can be seen.
Phone 01771 622807 to arrange special access or for information.