•  

Aberdeenshire SMR - NJ73NE0001 - ST PETER'S CHURCH, FYVIE

Print site NJ73NE0001 Feedback on site NJ73NE0001

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ73NE0001
NameST PETER'S CHURCH, FYVIE
NMRS Card No.NJ73NE1
NMRS Numlink19032
HS Ref No.9630
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Church, built on site of earlier church, with symbol stones incorporated into building. The present church was built in 1808 in the graveyard of St Peter's, on the site of its early medieval predecessor. The church is a 4-window Gothic rectangle, built of heathen rubble with cherry cocking and granite dressings with margins at the angles only. The centre of the W gable is advanced with curved skews to the double arch bellcote with spirelet. The crown of the roof is platformed, with a 3 pinnacle pediment feature at the apex of the E gable. It was repaired by James Henderson in 1863 after storm damage. The interior was completely remodelled, along with the chancel, and Leith-Hay pew, by A. Marshall Mackenzie in 1903. The E gable window is by Louis Comfort Tiffany, New York. This window was donated to the church by American friends of the Forbes-Leith family in memory of Lieutenant Percy Forbes-Leith, of Fyvie Castle, who died of enteric fever on 31st December 1900 while on active service with the British Army during the Boer War. The window depicts St Michael, the warrior angel, wearing a suit of armour, with angel wings outstretched against a clouded sky. He holds a flaming sword in his right hand and the banner of the cross in his left hand. On the S wall is a large Gothic memorial to Sir William Gordon with a marble bas-relief of a phoenix and simple Neo-Greek monuments to the Leslies of Rothie. Two wood panels, dated 1603 and 1671, can be found within the church, along with a Burgerhuys bell dated 1609 and another dated 1809. Incorporated in the exterior of the E gable are three Class I Pictish symbol stones and a Class III cross-shaft. Simpson suggests that this might be one of the foundations of St Bonaface c.750. It is first on record in 1178, when it was bestowed on the Abbey of Arbroath. Of the sculptured stones, only two belong to the site, the 'eagle' stone and the cross-shaft stone. The eagle stone is truncated on the left and right sides, with head and tail feathers missing, and the left hand disc of a double disc has also been lost, set close above eagle. The cross-shaft has a key pattern deeply incised at the top but the design at the base, of four converging triangles, is less distinct. The other two stones are from: (1) Fyvie schoolhouse (NJ 7656 3810) bearing a crescent and V-rod above a beast and a mirror; stone truncated through crescent, beast stubby; and (2) from a garden at Rothie Brisbane (NJ73NW0020; NJ 7456 3783), said to have been bought by J. Hay Chalmers, who is said to have removed a sculptured stone from the centre of a stone circle. This stone bears an elaborate arch surmounting a disc, with ribbing on the inner edge of the arch. The disc is represented by two closely set concentric circles enclosing three circles. A long cist with a cup-marked cover-slab was found nearby while removing road-metal c.1882.
Last Update27/05/2014
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation27/08/1980

Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
WINDOWSSTAINED-GLASS R100
WINDOWSMEMORIAL U100
MEMORIALSWAR V100
MEMORIALSBOER WAR W100
CHURCHYARDS  S100
GRAVEYARDS  T100
CHURCHES SITE OFA100
STONES PICTISH IB100
SYMBOLS EAGLEC100
SYMBOLSDOUBLE-DISC D100
SYMBOLS BEASTE100
SYMBOLSCRESCENTV-RODF100
SYMBOLSMIRROR G100
SYMBOLSHORSESHOE H100
SYMBOLSDISC I100
STONES PICTISH IIIJ100
CROSS-SHAFTS DECORATEDK100
SYMBOLS KEY-PATTERNL100
SYMBOLSTRIANGULAR M100
CISTSLONG N100
STONES CUP-MARKEDO100
STONESGRAVEDATEDP100
CHURCHES  Q100