Short Breaks Bureau

The Short Breaks Bureau supports carers and the people they care for to access personalised short breaks (also known as innovative respite). 

Our Short Breaks Bureau service offers practical support and advice to people planning a short break. They work with health and social care staff to make sure you get the best break possible.

If you want to go somewhere which doesn’t have the equipment or adaptations you need, the Short Breaks Bureau staff can help organise this. They can also help you arrange care if needed.

You'll be encouraged to get involved in planning your break.

You can access support from the Short Breaks Bureau if you care for someone who has:

  • a learning disability
  • a physical disability
  • a long term condition such as dementia, Parkinson’s or MS
  • mental health problems 

Types of short breaks

Short breaks can be provided in different ways, through organisations which specialise in providing breaks for people with additional support needs, in adapted accommodation or in ordinary hotels, guest houses or self-catering cottages.

Short breaks vary in length, ranging from a single overnight stay to a few weeks.

Short breaks can be taken by the carer and the person they care for together, separately or as part of a larger group. 

Funding of short breaks

Accessing the Short Breaks Bureau is free. The short breaks themselves vary in cost.

Breaks can be funded in various ways, for example:

The Short Breaks Bureau service works closely with the self-directed support team. 

Arranging a short break

Referrals to the Short Breaks Bureau usually come from care managers. But you can ask for a short break directly or ask someone to make a referral on your behalf (eg carer’s organisations, health professionals, GP).

The more information you can provide when making the referral, the easier it will be for our Short Breaks Bureau staff to start planning your break.

For more information, you can contact our Short Breaks Bureau.

Planning your own break

If you want to plan your own break, without support from the Short Breaks Bureau, or would like to know about some of the options available to you there are several websites you can use. The Shared Care Scotland website and Euan’s Guide website are searchable databases. They have information about services you might be able to use for planning a short break.

If you're an unpaid carer you may be able to apply for some money towards your break using Creative Breaks Funding. 

Creative breaks funding

Creative breaks funding is available for unpaid carers (aged 18 and over) to apply for. It can help you to have a holiday, take up a new leisure interest, or do something that is enjoyable and will help you to be able to continue as a carer.

The funding is managed through Quarriers, the organisation providing the adult carers support service in Aberdeenshire. Their Family Wellbeing Workers can give you information on the eligibility criteria and support you to make an application.

Creative breaks funding can help you to do something different to support you in your caring role.

An application form and guidance are available from Quarriers

Contact the Short Breaks Bureau

For more information about short breaks or to make a referral contact the Short Breaks Bureau at: 

Short Breaks Bureau
Health and Social Care Partnership
Gordon House
Blackhall Road
AB51 3WA

Telephone: 01467 530888
Mobile: 07825 865 414

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Help us improve