The Big IDEA
Improving day services for adults with disabilities consultation and involvement
What is the Big IDEA?
The Big IDEA stands for Inclusive Day services - Enabling Aberdeenshire.
What is it about?
The Big IDEA is about improving day services for adults with disabilities. We want to make sure:
- everyone gets the service they need
- people with disabilities are more involved in their local communities
- people with disabilities are valued members of their communities
- people are supported to fulfil their potential
What you have told us so far
Views of people using adult day services
The first stage of the Big IDEA has been to find out what people who use our day services think. We commissioned Progress Scotland to meet with our day service users across Aberdeenshire to find out what they liked and disliked about the current service and what ideas they had about what new services should look like.
Progress Scotland has produced reports based on the findings of these consultations. The information in these reports will be used design our new day services. For more information, please read the reports:
- Aberdeenshire day services consultation full report Tier 1 (pdf 785kb)
- Aberdeenshire day services consultation full in easy read Tier 1 (pdf 1.97 Mb)
- Banff day services report Tier 1 (pdf 165kb)
- Banchory day services report Tier 1 (pdf 172kb)
- Ellon day services report Tier 1 (pdf 176kb)
- Fraserburgh day services report Tier 1 (pdf 151kb)
- Inverurie day services report Tier 1 (pdf 171kb)
- Peterhead day services report Tier 1 (pdf 166kb)
- Stonehaven day services report Tier 1 (pdf 160kb)
Views of family carers
The second stage of the Big IDEA has been to have an open discussion with family carers about what they think of existing services and how they would like to see services developed. We have held seven events in locations across Aberdeenshire.
If you want to know what people said you can read the event reports:
- Banchory and Aboyne day services report Tier 2 (pdf 822kb)
- Banff day services report Tier 2 (pdf 801kb)
- Ellon day services report Tier 2 (pdf 795kb)
- Fraserburgh day services report Tier 2 (pdf 788kb)
- Inverurie day services report Tier 2 (pdf 785kb)
- Peterhead day services report Tier 2 (pdf 792kb)
- Stonehaven cay services report Tier 2 (pdf 815kb)
Views of the wider community
The third stage of the Big IDEA has been to hold a series of events where a wide range of people who are involved in the community, were asked for their views about how day opportunities could be delivered in the community.
The reports below summarise the whole process and detail how community based day services will now be developed through Local Community Development Groups:
- Inclusive Day Services Enabling Aberdeenshire Report - full report (pdf 891kb)
- Inclusive Day Services Enabling Aberdeenshire report appendices (pdf 280kb)
- Inclusive Day Services Enabling Aberdeenshire IDEA Review easy read summary report (pdf 1.91Mb)
Groups are being set up in Banff, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Ellon, Inverurie, Banchory and Stonehaven to look at how the ideas from the first two stages can be taken forward. If you would like to get involved with these groups please contact the IDEA Project Manager on 01224 664970 or contact the Day Service Manager for your area.
What will we do with the information gathered?
The information gathered from people using the day services and the family carers' events will be the basis for developing a plan, with community planning partners, for the development of improved inclusive and community based day services across Aberdeenshire.
Can you get involved?
Yes - Although we have completed our series of consultation and involvement events we still want your opinions and ideas. You can contact the IDEA Project Manager on 01224 664970.
How can you find out more information?
Take a look at our newsletter - IDEA News - which aims to keep you informed about what is happening in your area and across Aberdeenshire:
Previous editions of the newsletter are available on request by contacting IDEA@aberdeenshire.gov.uk
We have produced a video to let you know more about the Big IDEA (duration 17.41 minutes). This video will be updated as the consultation continues.
We have created some posters to show a sample of the wide range of day service activities available across Aberdeenshire. The posters were designed by people who use the day services with help from staff.
Each service offers a different selection of activities depending on local demand and opportunity. As well as traditional building based day services, there are a number of projects and group activities on offer. There are also services to support people seeking employment, volunteering opportunities and community activity options through Shared Lives and Supported Living.
If you would like more information about inclusive day services, or want to comment please contact our IDEA Project Manager on 01224 664970 or visit our Facebook page.