Apply for Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit has been replaced by Universal Credit for working age people. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following applies: 

  • You are a pensioner
  • You live in temporary (homeless) accommodation provided by Aberdeenshire Council 
  • You live in supported accommodation where you receive care, support or supervision

If you do not fall in to any of the above categories you need to claim Universal Credit.

If you are pension age or eligible to apply for Housing Benefit, you can apply online here:

Apply for Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is means tested which means it is calculated taking into consideration your income, savings and investments. Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. There’s no set amount and what you get will depend on whether you rent privately or from the council. If you pay for service charges these may not be covered by Housing Benefit.

View Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction privacy notice (pdf 47KB).

If you rent from a private landlord, Housing Benefit is calculated using Local Housing Allowance. Find out more about Local Housing Allowance here. 

For more information about Housing Benefit read our Frequently Asked Questions.