Consumer Credit or Hire


If you provide consumer credit such as listed below, you are likely to require authorisation by the Financial Conduct Authority. 

  • sell goods or provide service on credit
  • hire or lease out goods for more than three months
  • lend money
  • arrange credit for others
  • offer hire purchase terms
  • collect debts or purchase debts
  • help people with debt problem
  • advise people of, or help them find information on, their credit standing
  • administer agreements (but do not collect debts).


Even if you don't charge for your services or are non-profit making, or you don't do these activities all the time, you may still need authorisation.

Applications for authorisation can be made to the Financial Conduct Authority.