Aberdeenshire Council Plan 2022 – 2027
Our Council Plan describes our priorities for the years ahead. It sets out our strategic approach to supporting Aberdeenshire communities and businesses to thrive, working with our partners to face the challenges of cost of living and the increasing inequalities, continue our recovery from the pandemic and respond positively to climate change, all whilst ensuring that Aberdeenshire is and remains a welcoming place to live, work and visit.
Our communities are at the heart of everything we do. We will promote local decision-making and empower communities to influence, shape and contribute to the delivery of services. We will focus on growing the local economy and promoting healthy and resilient communities. We will be ambitious in our aspirations and maximise opportunities to secure external funding for projects that will help us deliver our priorities.
Our strategic priorities reflect the challenges being faced by the Council and inform our Medium-Term Financial Strategy in order to address what we know will be a significant financial shortfall. We will make the most of opportunities to work with partners, drive efficiencies through all areas of the Council and ensure we are agile and responsive to the needs of our communities. We will continue to invest in our workforce so they are capable, skilled and adaptable.
|Learning for life||Resilient communities||Economic growth|
|Health and wellbeing||Climate change||Infrastructure and public assets|
Learning for life
- Children and young people are more prepared for the world of work through participating in pathways which support the development of skills for learning, life and work
- Care Experienced Young People and those with additional support needs will thrive and be supported to fulfil their potential
- To support and nurture our young people, and ensure they are actively involved in decision-making where possible
- Residents are equipped to meet key challenges and transitions in their lives through learning opportunities
Find out more about Learning for life.
Health and wellbeing
- Improve the health and wellbeing of people in our communities, providing care and support when needed
- Enable and deliver the provision of good quality, energy efficient and accessible housing
- Focus on improving mental health through physical and cultural activities
Find out more about Health and wellbeing.
- Develop and implement a Place Strategy that considers the current and future needs of communities
- Support communities to help themselves and encourage and assist in the delivery of community priorities
- Improve the life chances of people at risk of falling into poverty, or already living in poverty
- Promote greater participation by communities in decisions that impact them
Find out more about Resilient communities.
- Reach a 75% reduction in emissions by 2030 and Net Zero by 2045, with the Council showing leadership through the Carbon Budget and carbon reduction toolkit
- Increase the quantity and quality of recycling collected in Aberdeenshire and reduce the volume of unnecessary waste going to landfill
- Support and promote sustainable and active travel
Find out more about Climate change.
- Improve digital connectivity across Aberdeenshire by lobbying for better infrastructure and providing advice and support for communities and business
- Enabling community organisations and businesses to access project funding
- Stimulate and nurture a culture of entrepreneurship within the region
- Support new and existing businesses to thrive, creating competitive advantage and providing fair work opportunities
- Develop our key sectors and secure inward investment to sustain economic growth
Find out more about Economic growth.
Infrastructure and public assets
- Deliver an ambitious yet affordable Capital Programme
- Create and sustain a Council Estate that is fit for purpose to provide modern public services that meet the current and future needs of our communities
- Deliver a road network supporting varied and sustainable modes of travel
- Promote the safety of pedestrians and encourage active travel in all our communities
Find out more about Infrastructure and public assets.
What the council does
Often people are unsure about the detail of the role of a Council in their day-to-day life, so to help show that we made this short animation.