British Sign Language (BSL) Local Plan - consultation
We are required by the British Sign Language (BSL) National Plan 2017-2023 and the British Sign Language (Scotland) Act 2015 to develop our own local BSL plan. We are introducing it in its draft form that is open for public consultation until 30th July 2018.
The plan is framed around the same long-term goals as the national plan which include:
- Education (early years)
- Training and work
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Culture and arts
- Justice and democracy
Our local BSL plan aims to improve equality of access to services or support for services for BSL users in Aberdeenshire. The draft plan sets out draft actions that we are going to deliver during 2018 and 2024. Here are some of the key actions:
- Information and services across Aberdeenshire will be accessible to BSL users
- The getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) approach will be fully embedded with a D/deaf or Deafblind child and their family offered the right information and support at the right time to engage with BSL
- Promoting Aberdeenshire Council as an employer of choice
- BSL users will have access to information and services regarding health (including social care), mental health and wellbeing
- BSL users will have full access to the cultural life of Aberdeenshire and are encouraged to share BSL and Deaf Culture with the people of Aberdeenshire
We have produced our draft plan in 2 versions, BSL and English, to make it easily accessible to all. You can watch BSL video with the draft plan or view draft British Sign Language Local Plan 2018-2024 (pdf 556KB).
If you would like to comment on this plan you can do so in the following ways:
- BSL users can contact us via contactSCOTLANDBSL and leave a comment on a voicemail on 01467 536767
- Comment by email to email@example.com or by post
- Respond to our online survey
After the consultation ends this plan will be finalised and we will make the final version available in BSL and English. The engagement with BSL users will continue during the implementation and monitoring of the plan.
If you would like any more information please contact: