Job related dwellings

Where you own or rent a property but live in another property due to reasons of your employment, you may apply for a discount if:

  • it is necessary for the proper performance of the duties of your employment that you reside in that dwelling
  • the dwelling is provided for the better performance of your employment duties and it is usual for employers to provide dwellings to employees in that profession (such as caretakers, janitors, agricultural workers or clergy)
  • there is a special threat to your security, special security arrangements are in force and you reside in the dwelling as part of those arrangements

Properties which are classed as job related receive a 50% discount.

How to apply

To apply please complete the online application form, and send us the supporting evidence. 

Apply for job related discount

View Council Tax privacy notice (PDF 152KB).

Supporting evidence

When making an application, you need to provide the following evidence:

  • confirmation that you are required to live in the dwelling as part of your employment contract
  • tenancy agreement that shows your employer provides the accommodation for you

Where your main address is in the UK and you are liable for Council Tax for your main address, you must provide a copy of your most recent Council Tax bill (unless your main address is within Aberdeenshire Council).

If your main residence is outside the UK, you must provide evidence of any property taxes paid in respect of your main address.

Please send supporting evidence to (quoting your Council Tax reference number and the property address).