Dog Fouling

If you are experiencing problems with dog fouling in your neighbourhood, the Council may be able to help you. View Environmental Health licensing privacy notice (pdf 432KB).

How to report dog to fouling in a public place

If you have witnessed a person allowing their dog to foul in a public area, and not picking up the faeces immediately and disposing of the poop scoop in a suitable bin, you can report it to us.

Report dog fouling

Alternatively you can report it by phone 03456 08 12 07.

The information the Environmental Health require to investigate the offence is:

  • The date, time and place the offence was witnessed
  • The name and address of the dog owner, or, if this is not known, a description of the dog owner
  • A description of the dog
  • A car registration number if the dog owner was seen to leave a vehicle to walk the dog

This information will be passed to an authorised officer who will contact the dog owner and advise them of their legal responsibilities to clean up after their dog has fouled. When the identity of a dog owner is not known, patrols of the area at the times you witnessed the offence, may be organised.

Any information passed to the council is treated in the strictest confidence.

What is being done about those who allow their dogs to foul public places

Certain local authority officers are authorised under The Dog Fouling (Scotland) Act 2003 to issue fixed penalty notices to any person in charge of a dog who after it has fouled in a public place fails to immediately remove the excrement and dispose of it in a suitable receptacle (dog bin, public litter bin or their own refuse bin).

Aberdeenshire Council's authorised officers have been active in enforcing the provisions of this legislation and have served a number of fixed penalty notices.

Officers routinely carry out enforcement patrols in Aberdeenshire, and any person found committing an offence is issued with a fixed penalty notice, incurring a fine of £80. This rises automatically to £100 if it is not paid within 28 days.

A person who persistently offends, or where an officer feels that payment is unlikely to be made, may be reported under the Act to the procurator fiscal as an alternative to being issued a fixed penalty where the maximum fine available to the court is £500.