Innovative single house design
This design award category focuses on individual properties. The scheme will demonstrate the very best in high quality materials, layout, siting and design. It will further demonstrate exceptional consideration in terms of environmental, functional, physical and social value.
Entries must have been completed within the past two years.
There are a number of things you should know before you enter the design awards:
Projects must show exceptional merit and quality to receive an award. In addition to the individual category requirements all entries will be judged on the overarching criteria of:
- sustainability - response to envisaged context, natural capital, energy, transport and health
- innovation - demonstrate how you use innovation to deliver a low energy, low carbon, sustainable solution that is cost effective and deliverable
- cost - your project should reflect the long term cost benefit of the design
For this category, you will need to provide a supporting statement that must not exceed 300 words and should be included within A1 PDFs. It should clarify how your entry complies with both the overall and category specific judging criteria.
As well as your supporting statement, you will need to submit a location plan and images.
Before you submit your entry, ensure that it is in the correct format:
- 2 x A1, single sided, landscape orientation
- PDF format, no crops or bleed
- High resolution files, minimum 300dpi for printing
- CMYK colour no spot
All entries must be received by 23rd February 2018.
You can submit your entry online by completing the nomination form and attaching each A1 PDF file individually (the total size of both files should not exceed 25MB).
You will receive an acknowledgement for your entry which will be automatically entered into the first round of judging taking place on 20th April 2018.
The 2nd judging stage and site visits (for the built categories) will take place on 14th and 15th June 2018.
The winners will be announced at an award ceremony in October 2018 with all entrants being invited to attend.
The judging panel for the 2018 awards will comprise:
- The Chair and Vice Chair of Infrastructure Services Committee
- The President of the Aberdeen Society of Architects
- An architect from the Planning and Architectural Division of the Scottish Government
- A Senior Casework Officer from Historic Environment Scotland
- A Scottish Natural Heritage Landscape Policy and Advice Officer
- A senior lecturer from the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture