The Eco-Schools Scotland programme is part of the international initiative, managed in Scotland by Keep Scotland Beautiful. It aims to make environmental awareness and action an intrinsic part of the life and ethos of the school for both pupils and for staff and to engage the wider community. The Eco-Schools programme can help schools to:
- Improve the school's environment
- Reduce litter and waste
- Reduce energy and water use
- Devise efficient was of travelling to and from school
- Promote healthy lifestyles
- Encourage active citizenship
- Build strong partnerships with a variety of community groups
- Develop international and global links
There are over 3000 schools registered as Eco Schools in Scotland and 26% of local authorities, including Aberdeenshire have attained the highest level award – the Green Flag. Forty three countries throughout Europe and Africa are involved in the programme. There is also much interest beyond, such as in New Zealand, South America and China.
Are schools in Aberdeenshire Eco-Schools?
All 172 schools have signed up to the Eco-Schools programme
123 schools have achieved the bronze award
14 schools have silver awards
69 have Green Flag awards