Home Security

It is important that you think about the security of your home. If you are going to be away from home make sure you take adequate precautions to maximise security, such as cancelling milk or newspaper deliveries. If possible, ask a friend or neighbour to open and close your curtains each day and use timers to set lamps to switch on in the evenings and remove post.

What you are responsible for

As a tenant, you are responsible for the security and protection of your own home:

  • You should check that the windows and doors are in good working order. If they are not contact the repairs line on 03456 08 12 03
  • You are responsible for the safety of your keys and the replacement of both the keys and locks if you lose them
  • If we need to force entry to your home, for whatever reason, you will normally be responsible for the cost of repairing any damage caused, unless the circumstances are exceptional

You are responsible for the protection of your own household goods and possessions and for other items for which you are responsible. You should make sure you have adequate household contents insurance.

What is the council is responsible for

We are responsible for the repair and replacement of faulty locks through general wear and tear.

If you have any problems with securing your property, contact the repairs line on 03456 08 12 03.

Copies of keys are not available from us, except for sheltered housing where a charge may be made. The sheltered housing officer within each scheme also holds a master key.

What steps you can take to make sure you are safe and secure

Check the identity of all callers to your home. Our employees and contractors carry photographic identification. Always ask for identification before letting anyone in to your home.

Check who is at the door by using a door viewer, if you have one, or a window. If you live in a flat with an entry-phone, do not let anyone in unless you know who they are.

Only answer the door when you are ready. If you have a security chain fitted, use it.

If you will be leaving your home unoccupied for more than 28 days you should get our written permission first. Contact Housing as soon as you know that you will be away from your home for an extended period of time. Remember to take precautions to prevent frozen and burst water pipes. Ask a neighbour, friend or relative to keep an eye on your house while you are away. You should also tell your insurance company that you will be away from home.

When locking doors and windows remember to lock your garage or shed as well.

Take a note of the serial numbers of all your household equipment such as television and hi-fi equipment. This will help with identification if stolen. Also consider marking equipment with your postcode and house number. You can use invisible markers for this which the Police can detect using ultraviolet light. Take photographs of smaller items of jewellery.

Consider setting up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme with your neighbours. If you are interested, contact Housing who will put you in touch with your Tenant Participation Officer.