Doing your own improvements to a council home

You can do your own improvements so long as you get written permission from us before you start the improvements. We won’t refuse any reasonable requests.

Certain types of work, such as the installation of gas or electrical appliances or fittings, need to be done by a qualified tradesman. You must send us certificates to confirm this.

More information is available in your tenancy agreement or you can contact your local Housing office for advice. 

Please complete this form if you wish to alter or improve your council house or flat. Guidance notes are included.