Running a business or working from home

Yes, if the business will not cause disruption to others.

Before you can operate a business from your home or fix or display a sign, you need to write to your local Housing office and get our permission.

You need to provide information relating to the extent and nature of the business.

We assess each request on its merits bearing in mind the likelihood of disturbance to other residents.

Generally, businesses such as registered child-minding or book-keeping are acceptable. Potentially disruptive businesses such as car repairing or building contracting will not normally be given permission. Some businesses may also require planning consent for change of use of buildings prior to operating.

Your rent may increase if we give you permission to run a business from your home. You will also need to make sure you have adequate insurance cover if you are having customers in your home.

We may impose certain conditions if we grant you permission to operate the business, such as storage of products, visitors and operating times.

We may also withdraw any permission granted, or refuse permission. If we do so, we will let you know the reasons why we made this decision.