NE Scotland Regional Research Framework - Neolithic
Period 4000BC - 2500BC
A wealth of artefacts and recorded sites (both upstanding and excavated) feed our knowledge of this period. These excavated sites and artefacts provide evidence of settlement patterns and "ritual" activities. Our knowledge increases as further examples are discovered through excavation ahead of new developments being built under the planning system, as well as through chance finds of artefacts and academic research. New discoveries can be made at any time. The documents available below will be updated as soon as possible to include these new discoveries, however if you know of a site that is not included then please contact the Archaeology Service.
- Resource Assessment - A list of all known dated Neolithic sites in northeast Scotland, including a distribution map (Version 1.0)(pdf 393kb)
- Resource Assessment - A list of all known undated Neolithic sites in northeast Scotland (Version 1.0)(pdf 664kb)
- Resource Assessment - A list of all Neolithic material held in the University of Aberdeen Museums and Collections (Version 1.0)(not yet available)
- Research Agenda and Strategy - An overview of the principal research themes, and current projects that relate to those themes (Version 1.0)(not yet available)
- Historic Environment Action Plan - Neolithic - A prioritised list of sites requiring protection, conservation or investigative works (Version 1.0)(not yet available)