Fireworks display licence

A fireworks display licence must be obtained if you wish to use fireworks between the hours of 11pm and 7am, except on allowed fireworks nights around 5 November, New Year, Chinese New Year and Diwali.

If you wish to display fireworks on the allowed dates you don't need fireworks licence. However, you might have to apply for a public entertainment licence.

Anyone intending to use fireworks during the times mentioned above should apply for this licence. The licence may only be granted to a person employed by or in business as a professional organiser or operator of fireworks displays.

If you wish to sell fireworks you need to apply for an explosives storage licence.

An application must be received no later than 6 weeks prior to the proposed fireworks display.

Application fee

There is no fee for a fireworks display licence application.

How to apply

You can apply for a fireworks display licence in paper or online.

Apply in paper

To apply in paper fill in our fireworks display application form (pdf 151KB). Please send completed submissions to the Trading Standards team.

Apply online

You can apply for a fireworks display licence online on GOV.UK website.  

Application process

Once the application, together with all supporting documentation, has been received we will acknowledge receipt within 1 week and you should have a response from us on the application within two months being the target completion period.

If you have not heard from us within the target completion period, please contact us using the contact details below.

Please note that a copy of your application will be submitted to Grampian Police as part of the consultation process and that Community Councils and other representative bodies may also be consulted about your application. The application form will also be included in the documents sent to members of the relevant Area Committee and as such will become a public document.

If a dispensation is granted you must give public notice of the event, by publication of a notice in a local newspaper no later than seven days prior to the start of the event.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply for this licence. This means that you cannot assume that the application has been approved if you do not hear from us by the end of the target completion period. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

Refused applications

If your application is refused you can appeal to the local Sheriff. Please contact us before you lodge an appeal.

Contact details

Trading Standards
Gordon House
Blackhall Road
AB51 3WA
Tel: 01467 536190

Help us improve