Small society lottery return
Every society registered with us to run small society lotteries must submit a return after each lottery is held. This is to allow us to assess whether financial limits are being adhered to and to ensure that any money raised is being applied for the proper purpose.
The information that must be submitted is as follows:
- The arrangements for the lottery – specifically the date on which tickets were available for sale or supply, the dates of any draw and the value of prizes, including any donated prizes and any rollover
- The proceeds of the lottery
- The amounts deducted by the promoters of the lottery in providing prizes, including prizes in accordance with any rollovers
- The amounts deducted by the promoters of the lottery in respect of costs incurred in organising the lottery
- Whether any expenses incurred in connection with the lottery were not paid for by deduction from the proceeds and, if so, the amount of expenses and the sources from which they were paid
- The amount applied to the purpose for which the promoting society is conducted (this must be at least 20% of the proceeds)
We also require that returns must be:
- Sent to us no more than three months after the date of the lottery draw or in the case of ‘instant lotteries’ (scratch cards) within three months of the last date on which tickets were on sale
- Signed (electronic signatures are acceptable if the return is sent electronically) by two members of the society, who must be aged 18 or older, are appointed for the purpose in writing by the society or, if it has one, its governing body, and accompanied by a copy of their letter or letters of appointment
We will retain returns for a minimum period of 3 years from the date of the lottery draw. The return will also be made available for inspection by the general public for a minimum period of 18 months following the date of the lottery draw.
Submit a lottery return
To submit a return please fill in a lottery return form (pdf 303KB) and send it to:
The Depute Clerk to the Board