Occasional extension of licensing hours

Use this application to apply for an extension on your licence hours. You can only ask for extended hours if you hold premises licence.

Occasional extension is considered appropriate by local Licensing Board in cases of:

  • a special event or occasion to be catered for on the premises
  • a special event of local or national significance

Where the Board sees a pattern of occasional extension applications being lodged by a premises licence holder for a specific type of event or for specific hours, the Board may request that the licence holder considers applying for a major variation of the premises licence rather than making applications for occasional extensions. Unlike a general extension granted by the Board, an occasional extension cannot be used to extend the hours granted on an occasional licence.

Occasional extension licence can't be granted for longer than one month.


Some conditions apply if the premises are open after 1.00am. View our mandatory conditions for premises licences (PDF 160KB) to find out more.

Festive hours extensions

Before you apply for any extended hours over the festive period please read:

Extended hours you can apply for 

The Board, in its policy statement, considers the commencement of the sale of alcohol will not be earlier than 9.00am For the terminal hour beyond which alcohol must not be sold on the premises, the Board considers the following to be appropriate:

  • Where there is no specific entertainment 1.00am daily
  • Where there is specific entertainment 1.30am daily

When making an application, the hours sought should be from the end of the hours currently provided for in the operating plan attached to the premises licence, until the terminal hour sought. For example, where the core hours currently terminate at 1.00am, and an extension is sought until 1.30.m, the hours sought would be 1.00am to 1.30am.

An occasional extension application does not allow a premise to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises if the relevant premises licence only allows the sale of alcohol on the premises and vice versa.

An extension of hours for the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises cannot extend outwith the hours of 10.00am to 10.00pm. Applicants seeking licensed hours for times outwith the Board’s policy are required to demonstrate to the Board that the additional requested hours are appropriate in the circumstances. All such applications will be determined by the Convenor in the first instance.

Application fees

Extension of hours fee is £10 per period of licensed hours. If your application is refused, or granted for less than you applied for, the fee is not refunded or reduced.

You can pay by either:

Unfortunately we are unable to accept payment by BACs, cheques or cash.

When to apply

You should apply giving as much time as possible, and at least 6 weeks prior to the date requested.

Applications made 2 weeks or less prior to the date requested are unlikely to be accepted. Applications made between 2 and 4 weeks prior to the date requested are likely to be classed as ‘late applications’. This will mean that future late applications might be rejected.

View our extended adverts.

How to apply

Before you apply please read our occasional extension guidance (PDF 119KB). These notes explain how to complete the application form and the policies and legislation surrounding these licences.

Your application must include a description of the premises to which the application relates and a description of the activities to be carried out in the premises.

To apply fill in occasional extension application form (PDF 136KB)Please send your competed form by email to or by post to, please note physical mail is only checked once a week:

Aberdeenshire Council
Legal and People
Arduthie Road
AB39 2DQ

If you are unable to complete the forms, please call us and we will assist you to apply over the telephone.

Application process

Once we’ve received your application, we will consult with Scotland Police and Licensing Standards Officer. If neither of them makes any adverse comment, and the application is within the Board's Policy, the application can be granted under ‘delegated powers’. This means that the Application will be granted by the Clerk, without a Hearing at the Licensing Board.

If there is any adverse comment, or if the application is outside the Board's Policy, the application must be referred to a Hearing of the Licensing Board.

You will be told of the Hearing and will be able to make representations in favour of your application.