Taxi and private hire licence
Please note that at the moment, council offices are closed and officers are working from home due to coronavirus. There may be a delay in processing your application if you send it in paper format and so we would encourage you to apply online wherever possible as this will reach the team much quicker. Find out more about changes to licensing services.
A licence, known as a taxi licence is required for the operation of a vehicle as a taxi and a licence known as a private hire car licence is required for the operation of a private hire car. The Aberdeenshire Council is the statutory licensing authority in Aberdeenshire for the purposes of the licensing provisions of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
There are some things you need to know before you apply for a taxi and private hire licence:
- Decide what type of licence you need
- Licence conditions
- Application fees
- How to apply for or renew your licence
- Duration of the licences
- Taxi and private vehicle operator guidance
Before making your application, you need to decide what type of licence you need to apply for. A taxi vehicle licence is different from the taxi driver's licence which each driver will need. If you drive your own car, you will need both a taxi vehicle licence and a taxi driver's licence.
Taxis can be hired on the spot, in the street or at a rank, by the customer dealing directly with a driver but private hire cars can only be pre-booked.
Holders of taxi driver licences can drive both taxis and private hire cars. Holders of private hire driver licences can only drive private hire cars.
A separate application is required for each vehicle.
You do not need a vehicle licence from Aberdeenshire if:
- you are using your vehicle to pick up passengers that you have previously dropped off as part of an arrangement for a journey starting outside Aberdeenshire
- you are using your vehicle in connection with a wedding or funeral
- it is part of a public service covered by the Public Passenger Vehicle Act 1981
- you are using your vehicle for voluntary transport arrangements
Taxi and private hire licences will have mandatory conditions.
The fees you will have to pay depends on the licence that you apply for:
- Driver licence - £123.50
- Car licence - £252
- 6 month vehicle check - no fee
- Vehicle substitution - £98 plus £10 per plate except where the vehicle is being substituted at the time a test is due then the fee will be £31 plus £10 per plate
The fee is non-refundable.
You can pay by either:
- applying online (you will be asked to make a payment at the end of the form)
- making a telephone payment on 0300 456 0634
- visiting the relevant service point
Unfortunately we are unable to accept payment by BACs, cheques or cash.
You can apply for or renew a taxi and private hire licence either online or in paper.
If you wish to renew your licence, please make sure you use the appropriate renewal form.
You can apply for our taxi and private hire licences either online or in paper. If you are applying online, please note that you will have to sign in with myAberdeenshire to access the form. You will be able to save it and resume later at any stage before submitting your application.
Once we have received your application there is a 28 day objection period. Your application will be copied and sent to Police Scotland for any comments or objections they may have.
If your licence is due for a renewal, a letter will be issued to you with a date and time for your test at the fleet services depot appropriate to your area.
If you are applying for a driver licence you will need to provide a photocopy of the DVLA licence and two passport sized photographs with your application.
Alternatively you can apply for or renew your licence in paper by completing the taxi or private hire driver licence form (pdf 260KB) and sending it to the address provided on the application.
If you are applying for a vehicle licence or vehicle substitution you will need to provide a copy of your insurance certificate with your application.
To apply or renew in paper please complete the relevant form and send it to the address provided on the application:
- Taxi or private hire car licence form (pdf 245KB)
- Taxi or private hire 6 month vehicle test form (pdf 210KB)
- Taxi or private hire vehicle substitution form (pdf 203KB)
Licences of all types (drivers and vehicles) will come into effect on the date specified in the licence.
Taxi licences and private hire car licences will normally have effect for one year from the date granted.
Drivers Licences will normally have effect for three years from the date granted unless a shorter period is considered appropriate, for example, for medical reasons.
The guidance booklet (pdf 211KB) is designed to remind licence holders of some of their responsibilities while operating a vehicle as a taxi or private hire car; such as:
- detailed licensing conditions applicable to taxi and taxi driver licences
- detailed licensing conditions applicable to private hire car and private hire car driver licences
- detailed specification and examination of vehicles; condition of vehicles
- prohibition notices
- partnership working
- testing requirements for vehicles
- return of plates
- cross boundary operation of vehicles