Statement of public task
The council is a public sector body for the purposes of the Re-Use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015. Our powers include:
- mandatory powers such as providing schooling and social work services
- permissive powers such as economic development and recreation services
- regulatory powers such as planning control, trading standards, environmental health and the issues of licenses for taxis and public houses
We are responsible for the providing a range of public services within the Aberdeenshire area. The main services that we provide, in addition to the regulatory and licensing functions, are:
- Social work
- Roads and transport
- Economic development
- Housing and built environment
- Waste management
- Environment protection
- Libraries, arts, culture, parks, leisure and sport
In addition, the Local Government in Scotland Act 2003 outlines partnership working between all agencies (such as health boards, benefits agencies, further and higher education institutions) responsible for public service delivery in an area. This partnership approach is called community planning. We are responsible for community planning within the Aberdeenshire area.
Information we produce in the delivery of public tasks is generally available for re-use under the regulations, subject to the terms of the Open Government License. However, there are some exceptions.