Peak time road closure scheme

Apply for a resident access permit

Resident access permit allows you to drive within a peak time road closure zone during the hours of operation.

A permit doesn't reserve or guarantee a space within the street, this is a driving permit and not a parking permit.

Who can get a permit

You can get a permit if your main residence or business is on streets where the road closure scheme is in operation, or if you work in the school within the zone. 

You can only apply for a permit if either:

  • your vehicle is registered to an address within the approved zone or is a business vehicle which you are insured to drive
  • your main residency is within the approved zone

Paper work to prove both is required with your permit application form.


The following are exempt from applying for a driving permit:

  • residents with a Blue Badge providing your badge is displayed in your vehicle and is valid
  • delivery drivers
  • council vehicles
  • emergency vehicles
  • care workers
  • taxis

How many permits you can get

Permits will be limited per household. Please get in touch if you have any concerns.


There is no cost required for these permits.

How to apply

If you are a school staff please discuss with the school on how to obtain the permit.

If you are a business or a resident applying for a driving permit you will need to fill in an application form and provide supporting documents.

View the peak time road closure driving permit privacy notice (PDF 144KB) to find out what we do with your information.

Supporting documents

To process your application we will need proof of your residency. This can be one of the following documents dated within last 3 months:

  • Current utility bill (for example electricity bill or council tax)
  • Current bank or credit card statement
  • Mortgage agreement or mortgage statement
  • Current tenancy agreement (must be issued by a housing association or leasing agent on headed paper)

Depending on who owns the vehicle we will also need you to provide one of the following:

  • Copy of the vehicle’s DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) if you are the vehicle owner or keeper
  • Copy of an insurance certificate for the vehicle showing the applicant's name, address and the vehicle registration if the vehicle is owned by somebody else but you are the keeper
  • Letter from your employer (dated within the last month) confirming that the vehicle is owned or leased by the company and that you are the sole keeper

Please send only copies and not original documents. We will accept scanned copies or photos of the documents taken from your device.


Please complete the application form (available in two formats) and email it along with supporting documents to

What happens after

Once application has been submitted, this will be evaluated. If all the information is correct a permit will be sent to you by post.  If any information is incorrect or missing, we will get in touch.

Please allow at least 10 working days for residents permit to be validated.

Your permit will be valid for 2 years and you will need to re-apply if you still need one.


If you require help with your application or wish for a hard copy to be sent out, please phone 01467 536929 or email