Scottish Blind Persons Travel Card

Aberdeenshire residents who are severely sight impaired or are registered as sight impaired with Aberdeenshire Council are entitled to a Scottish Blind Persons Travel card.

The card entitles holders to free standard class travel on:

  • all local bus services in Scotland
  • all scheduled long distance services in Scotland; and to/from Berwick and Carlisle (please check with the operator for booking details)
  • all rail services in Scotland; and as far as Berwick and Carlisle
  • Glasgow underground services
  • Ferry services (please check with the operator before travelling)

Applicants who are registered severely sight impaired are also entitled to have a companion travel free on all bus journeys.

This page contains information on:


Aberdeenshire residents who are severely sight impaired, or registered sight impaired with the council’s Visual Impairment Team, RNIB, or any other Blind Society, are entitled to the national free travel scheme. 

Find out more about National Entitlement Card eligibility

How to apply

You need to provide the following with your application:

  • proof of person
  • proof or photograph
  • proof of residence
  • proof of your visual impairment

For more information on acceptable proofs visit the NEC website. Please note that proofs provided have to be original only if you are returning the application in person. If you are applying by post, email, or online, please send copies of the evidence.

Apply online

You can apply online via the website, where you will have to sign in to access the form. You can sign in with your myAberdeenshire details if you already have an account. 

Sign in with myAberdeenshire 

Apply on paper

To apply on paper, please complete the National Entitlement Card application form (PDF 194KB). You can also request a copy of the form by contacting usor by collecting it from one of our offices accepting applications. These offices can also validate applications. 

Completed applications should be returned to us via email where possible. If emailing is not possible and you can validate documents at our offices accepting applications, or send your application by post to our office.

Please be aware that applications submitted using a paper application will take considerably longer to process.

Existing cards: renew, replace or update your details

You can manage your card online via The portal lets you request a renewal or replacement of your existing card and update your details.

You will have to sign in to access the portal. If you already have the myAberdeenshire account, you can sign in with your myAberdeeshire details

Alternatively you can contact us by phone or email to renew or replace a card. Please provide your name, date of birth, address details and a reason for replacement.


If you have any specific queries regarding the application process please contact: