Mud on the road

Anyone in charge of a vehicle that has allowed mud, clay, farmyard manure or other material to be deposited on the road and fails to remove the material as soon as reasonably practicable may have committed an offence, therefore the matter should be investigated and dealt with by the Police in the first instance.

Please report problems with mud or other material on the road to Police Scotland by phoning 101.

Only police that can decide if an offence has been committed and take the necessary enforcement action.

The deposit of mud or any other material onto the road is dealt with under section 95 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984.