Ellon Academy Community Campus
In September 2009 the Scottish Government outlined a school building plan that included partial funding from Scottish Futures Trust for a replacement Ellon Academy. Four years on significant progress has been made in designing the new community facilities and the project is on target for the new Ellon Academy Community Campus to open in Autumn 2015.
To date a series of stakeholder meeting have been held with members of the Ellon community and wider school network. A statutory consultation has been held about the relocation, and building work began in summer 2013. This was marked by a Turf Cutting Ceremony on 21 June 2013.
This will give you an idea of the next stages of the development, and some of the key events that need to take place.
- Gateway 1: Policy & Resources Committee on 13 January 2011 to agree project parameters, preferred site option and budget costs
- Gateway 2: Through to September 2011- design development and report to P&R Committee.
- 6 June 2011 - Community Consultation Events regarding Community, Sport and Leisure facilities
- 8 June 2011 - Major Development Planning Application - Public Consultation Meeting
- 5th September - 28th October 2011: Statutory public consultation regarding the relocation of Ellon Academy
- Gateway 3: Period October 2011 to January 2013 design taken forward, Planning Application and tendering process and appointment of Contractor
- October 2011 - Formal Planning Application submitted
- Gateway 4: Construction and delivery of project. Start construction July 2013 and complete May/June 2015. Occupancy August 2015.
- 21 June 2013 - Turf Cutting Ceremony to launch the construction work.
Architect's Impression of the new Community Campus
Turf Cutting Ceremony at Cromleybank, Ellon on Friday 21 June 2013
Below you will find one of the presentations that were delivered at the Stakeholder meetings which include architect plans for the building.
Consultation under the Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act 2010
As we are relocating Ellon Academy to a new site at Cromleybank, Ellon, we were required to undertake a statutory consultation with parent, pupils, staff and the wider community. This consultation asked whether closing the existing academy and opening the new community campus once the building work is complete will meet the needs of the Ellon network for secondary education. The consultation ran from 5th September 2011 until 28th October 2011, after which point all submissions were provided to Education Scotland for their consideration.
The proposal is provided below.
Both Education Scotland and Aberdeenshire Council considered the responses to this consultation.
Our report is available below and includes a copy of Education Scotland's report as an Appendix.
- Proposal to Relocate Ellon Academy Report pdf (72.7kb)
- Public Meeting Minutes Consult Rept App1 pdf (262kb)
- Pupil Comments Consult Rept App2 pdf (7.32kb)
- Ellon Academy Final HMIe Consult Rept App3 pdf (489kb)
These documents were considered by a number of committees and at its meeting of 19 April 2012 Aberdeenshire Council Policy Business Services Committee approved the relocation and eventual closure of the existing Ellon Academy in line with the Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act 2010.