About the Educational Psychology Service
Aberdeenshire Educational Psychology Service bring psychology to the heart of learning and teaching, working with others to improve life experiences and outcomes for all children and young people.
The Educational Psychology Service provides a service across Aberdeenshire from pre-birth to 24 years old. We work with children, young people, families, educational staff, local authority colleagues and a wide range of other professionals including health professions, social work, early years partner providers and post school training and education providers.
To find out more about what we do, take a look at the Educational Psychology Service Plan 2014-17 (pdf 213KB) which sets out our priorities for improvement over the coming year.
Educational Psychologists have skills in problem analysis and solution-focused discussion and apply their knowledge of psychology and child development to improve experiences, outcomes and opportunities for children and young people. We do this through:
- Consultation and working collaboratively with the people most closely involved with a particular issue. The aim is to explore the issue(s) and to collectively generate workable solutions.
- Gathering and analysing assessment information through consultation and making decisions about the need for any additional assessment information. Sometimes assessment can also involve observation, analysis of work, questionnaires, curriculum based assessment or dynamic assessment. The purpose of an assessment is to inform intervention.
- Facilitating discussion to agree appropriate interventions and next steps. An intervention is a strategy designed to overcome barriers to learning and teaching.
- Providing training for children and young people, parents, teaching staff and other professionals on a variety of topics.
- Carrying out research projects; for example writing up case studies, carrying out enquiries, evaluations and literature reviews on issues related to learning and teaching.
We have educational psychologists based in six office locations in Aberdeenshire.
Acting Principal Educational Psychologist
Aberdeen, AB16 5GJ
117 Charlotte Street
Fraserburgh, AB43 9LS
|Kintore||Craigearn Business Park
Kintore, AB51 0TH
|Banff||32 Low Street
Banff, AB45 1AY
St Peter Street
Peterhead, AB42 1QF
|Stonehaven||Stonehaven Education Office
Stonehaven, AB39 2QQ