Banchory Sports Village
Banchory Sports Village will provide the town and surrounding area with enhanced sports facilities and is expected to open to the public in early 2019.
The new facility will be located behind Hill of Banchory Primary School in the north-east of the town. It will include a six lane swimming pool suitable for competitions, as well as a training pool, three-court sports hall, fitness room, two squash courts and accompanying changing and cafe areas.
The project will cost around £8.5 million and on the whole will be met by the council with a £700,000 contribution from Banchory Sports Village Trust after significant fundraising by the community.
The current sports centre on Raemoir Road will be retained to complement the new facility and will be used to enhance the PE curriculum for young people attending nearby schools as well as continuing to support local sports clubs.
View the development timeline:
- December 2016 – planning permission for the sports village granted
- January 2017 – Marr Area Committee agrees that the name of the new facility be Banchory Sports Village following requests from the local community
- September 2017 - completion of legal agreements
- October 2017 - provisional construction start
- Late summer 2019 – Banchory Sports Village opens to the public