Gaelic in schools - assessment request

If you would like your child to access Gaelic Medium Education (GME) and they have not yet started to attend a primary school you can make a request for an assessment of need for Gaelic Medium Primary Education (GMPE).

The parent or carer of any child or young person can make a request to attend any school which offers GME. 

This will enable your child to be taught by specialist staff. As there are no schools in Aberdeenshire which have GME provision learners are currently transported to school in Aberdeen City.

At present we don’t offer Gaelic Medium Education within Aberdeenshire schools. However, we will provide transport to other local authority schools that offer Gaelic education and share a boundary with Aberdeenshire.

There are Gaelic Medium Units within Gilcomston Primary School and Hazlehead Academy in Aberdeen City.

Before you make a request

If you wish to request an assessment of the need for Gaelic education for your child, view the statutory guidance on Gaelic education introduction published by Bòrd na Gàidhlig, the public body responsible for the Gaelic language. This introduction provides an overview of how the assessment process works and a summary of the assessment process.

For more information on the assessment process (along with what evidence you need to provide with your request), you can view the detailed statutory guidance. This detailed guidance also provides general information on how Gaelic education is currently delivered in Scotland. 

How to request an assessment

You can request an assessment of the need for Gaelic education using the forms on the Scottish Government website. Forms are available in English and Gaelic. 

Please send your completed form to our Education and Children’s Services.

Contact details

Aberdeenshire Council
Education and Children’s Services
Woodhilll House
Westburn Road
AB16 5GB

For general questions about the GMPE assessment request process you can contact Bòrd na Gàidhlig and for questions relating to Gaelic education, you can contact the Scottish Government Gaelic and Scots Team