Schools and childcare - Coronavirus
On this page you can find out about current arrangements for schools and childcare during coronavirus (COVID-19):
- When schools will reopen
- Registration of essential services and key workers
- Childcare arrangements for key workers
- School hubs
- School meal arrangements
- Working alongside partner childcare providers
For more information please email ELCadmissions@aberdeenshire.gov.uk.
If you are a British Sign Language (BSL) user, please watch our video explaining our schools and childcare arrangements. You can also contact us via contactSCOTLAND-BSL, an online British Sign Language interpreting service.
In line with the Scottish Government’s announcement, schools in Aberdeenshire will reopen in August 2020. View detailed guidance on the practical measures to allow schools to reopen published by the Scottish Government.
Teachers and other school staff are able to return in June to prepare for a new model of learning from August. The plans are contingent on scientific and medical advice that it is safe to proceed and public health measures being in place. Separate guidance for early learning and childcare settings is also being developed at a national level.
Childminders and nurseries
From Wednesday, 3rd June 2020, all childminding services and fully outdoor nursery provision will be able to resume, although capacity will be limited. Both measures will be subject to increased hygiene measures, small group working and physical distancing of adults.
We are liaising with our public sector partners to identify public sector essential services and the key workers who are required to deliver the services. We are also asking the private and third sector employers to register any essential services and to identify categories of key workers involved in delivering that service. We will use the information to identify those key workers who may require childcare. For further information please view the essential services and key workers page.
Additional critical childcare places are being made available for those who need it. You can apply for critical childcare via our application form.
We have set up 17 childcare in primary schools across Aberdeenshire. They are open from 7:30am to 6.45pm Monday to Sunday (7 days a week):
- Aboyne cluster - Aboyne Primary School
- Alford cluster - Alford Primary School
- Banchory cluster - Hill of Banchory School
- Banff cluster - Banff Primary School
- Ellon cluster - Ellon Primary School (open from 27th April 2020, relocated from Balmedie Primary School)
- Fraserburgh cluster - St Andrews School
- Huntly cluster - Gordon Primary School (open from 20th April 2020, relocated from Insch Primary School)
- Inverurie cluster - Uryside School
- Kemnay clusetr - Kintore School
- Laurencekirk cluster - Laurencekirk Primary School
- Meldrum cluster - Meldrum Primary School
- Mintlaw cluster - Mintlaw School
- Peterhead cluster - Dales Park School
- Portlethen cluster - Hillside School
- Stonehaven cluster - Mill O’ Forest School
- Turriff cluster - Turriff Primary School
- Westhill cluster - Westhill Primary School
Any queries should be directed to your hub primary school directly.
School catering is provided within our hub schools for those who are attending.
Families who receive income-based free school meals but are not attending hub childcare will receive payment to cover the cost of these. Find out more about school catering arrangements for those in need.
There are a number of private nurseries, playgroups and childminders that are still open to provide childcare to those keyworkers supporting critical services. These childcare providers offer a high quality childcare service and are working in partnership with the council.
There are a number of nurseries that are open 7.30am – 6pm and if needed some will consider working later to meet childcare needs. They usually provide childcare from ages 0 to 5 but some nurseries are also able to support children of primary school age. There are also a number of childminders in partnership with the council to provide childcare and we are currently 'fast tracking' those childminders who aren’t currently in partnership to increase the childcare on offer across Aberdeenshire.