Arrangements for free school meals for those in need
Families eligible to receive free school meals – not those offered universally in P1-3 – are to receive a payment to cover the cost of these (£12.50 per child per week) directly from Monday, 30th March 2020. Payments will be sent in four-weekly instalments during term time.
The council is able to make this payment to families in the same way as is done for school clothing grants. This only applies to families who are eligible for clothing grants too.
We have decided to continue the service in this way until further notice to ensure we comply with the social distancing advice now in place and to ensure equity of service provision for all of our families across Aberdeenshire. This approach will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
If you are facing financial hardship and believe you may now be eligible for free school meals, please apply online through our website. Eligibility is usually based on whether you are in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits or allowances:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
- Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
- Any income related element of Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit (WTC), and have an income of less than £16,105
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) and Working Tax Credit (WTC), and have an income of less than £6900
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
Children from families within the following categories may also be eligible:
- Student parents who have children at school providing you are receiving Child Tax Credit and your income is less than £16,105
- Parents or carers who have savings above £16,000, but very low income