Mental Health and Wellbeing services
We provide a range of care and support services for adults experiencing mental health problems.
Mental health involves our emotional, psychological and social wellbeing, and affects how we think feel and act. We all experience times where we are anxious or sad. Usually these feelings pass, but sometimes they can develop into more serious problems.
Community Mental Health Team
Our Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) assess, treat and manage care needs and provide support for people experiencing serious mental health problems. The team help you to live as independently as possible in your community.
We have three CMHTs covering North, South and Central Aberdeenshire. They are integrated teams of different health and social care professionals - Community Mental Health Nurses; Health Occupational Therapists; Psychiatrists; Psychologists and Social Workers. The teams bring together many different types of knowledge, skills and expertise and look at you as a whole person to provide the care, treatment and support you need.
CMHT services include:
- Community Mental Health Nursing – supporting you to manage your health and providing treatment in the community
- Occupational Therapy – working with you to overcome difficulties with day to day tasks that you need or want to do
- Psychiatry – diagnosing mental health problems, prescribing medication and recommending treatment
- Psychology - helping you to understand how your thoughts and feelings affect your behaviour
- Social work services – providing help at home or with your social needs, including help with housing problems, financial support or general advice and support
How to access the service
Access to this service is by referral from your GP. Contact your GP if you are experiencing a mental health problem. They will refer you to the CMHT if this is appropriate.
If you meet our eligibility criteria, a member of the CMHT will assess your needs. They will create a support plan to help your recovery and arrange the services you need.
Support for people with autism
If you are an autistic adult without a learning disability, and meet our eligibility criteria, the CMHT will assess your care needs and provide appropriate social work services.
If you would like more information on the mental health and wellbeing services available to you, please call 03456 08 12 06.
Other mental health and wellbeing services
There are also other specialist mental health and wellbeing services you can access direct, without a referral from your GP. We work in partnership with other agencies to provide these services, including:
- Aberdeenshire 1st Response – provides support if you feel at crisis point.
- Advocacy services - provides help to express your needs and wishes and make decisions about your care and support options, if you have a mental illness.
- My Life Dynamic - provides a range of mental health and wellbeing support services across Aberdeenshire.
- ChooseLife - telephone helplines you can call for support if you are feeling depressed or suicidal, or are worried that someone is suicidal.