Visual Impairment

Our sensory impairment services includes care and support for people who have a visual impairment.

Rehabilitation service

Our Rehabilitation Officers provide a rehabilitation and mobility service to people with a significant sight loss and their carers.

Support may include:

  • assessment of abilities and barriers to independence
  • teaching techniques to help you manage everyday tasks, such as cooking, housework and personal care
  • providing equipment to help maintain independence
  • training you in independent travel skills
  • accessing information in alternative formats
  • access to talking books and newspapers
  • equipment and technology to help with reading and writing

We work in partnership with Health and Social Care teams, and with colleagues in Education, to provide an integrated service.

For more information about this service, please call the Visual Impairment Team on 01467 536700 or email Or you can contact your local social work office and ask for the Visual Impairment Team.

Visual impairment registration

We hold the register of people who are either sight impaired or severely sight impaired in Aberdeenshire.

If you are having problems with your sight, visit your local optician or GP for an initial check-up. If necessary, they will refer you to the eye clinic for an appointment.

At the eye clinic, the eye specialist will assess your vision. If you meet the criteria for certification, they will complete a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI). It will include details of your eye examination as well as information about your circumstances.

We have commissioned the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) Scotland to provide information, guidance and support to those newly certified as sight impaired or severely sight impaired. This is to help you manage the impact of your eye condition and maintain your independence. With your permission, the eye clinic will send your CVI form to the local RNIB Vision Support Service Officer. The Officer will discuss the benefits of registration with you. If you wish to be registered they will tell us.

If your needs can't be met by the Vision Support Service Officer, they will refer you for an assessment or rehabilitation. 

Privacy notices

Our privacy notices give more information about how we may use your data in providing our visual impairment service:

Help us improve