Domestic or partner abuse

Domestic or partner abuse covers a range of abusive behaviour that may occur in any close relationship. It happens across society regardless of age, gender, disability, education and ethnicity. Although mainly affecting women, men can also be victims.

The abuse can be:

  • physical - being pushed, hit, kicked, attacked or threatened with an object
  • sexual - being raped, sexually assaulted, forced to take part in degrading or unwanted sexual activities
  • emotional - being verbally abused, criticised, degraded or controlled

It isn't easy to seek help. We can offer support and help by listening and talking to you and giving you information on safety planning. We can also give you information to get support with legal advice, benefits, places of safety and alternative housing. 

Social work support

Our Children and Families teams provide support to parents or carers who are victims of domestic or partner abuse and their children. The provision of services in situations featuring domestic abuse occurs in the context of our GIRFEC (Getting It Right for Every Child) arrangements. The wellbeing of children is promoted and protected by addressing abusive behaviour in the relationship of those who care for them.

Our Children and Families teams can give support and advice to victims who are in an abusive relationship and trying to leave by:

  • offering one to one support to address issues around their relationship and domestic abuse
  • helping victims make a plan if they want to leave
  • helping to get advice on finding a safe place to live
  • helping to get access to legal advice and benefits
  • increasing the victim’s self-confidence to enable them to leave
  • offering advice and information regarding services

Our Children and Families teams can support victims who have left an abusive relationship by giving:

  • help to identify areas of concern about the security of their new home and providing safety equipment
  • advice on benefits and housing
  • opportunities to go to support groups that will allow them to talk to other victims and rebuild their confidence 

Our Children and Families teams can provide support by:

  • giving advice and guidance on how to support their children at home and at school
  • helping children to make sense of what has happened to them and their family and their feelings about this

The support may be provided by a children and families social worker, family support worker, domestic abuse worker or a combination of staff.

What happens if you call your local Children and Families team?

Depending on your circumstances we may give you advice over the phone, or arrange to meet you to give you information or talk about how best we can support you and your children. You can choose what means of contact suits you best. We'll visit you where you feel safe eg at home, a friend’s, a GP surgery or a social work office.

If you need ongoing support from your local Children and Families team, a worker will be allocated to do a full assessment of the needs of your child or children. This will include consideration of the impact of domestic abuse.

Our priority will always be on ensuring your safety and that of your children.

Contacting Children and Families teams

When you phone for help, if no one is available, please leave a message on the answering machine with a contact number that's safe to call you on.

Find your local Children and Families team contact details.

Outwith office hours, if it's an emergency call our out of hours emergency service.

Other available help and support

If you need immediate help contact:

Police Scotland Emergencies               999
Non-Emergencies       101
Grampian Women’s Aid 01224 593381
National Domestic Abuse Helpline (24 hr) 0800 027 1234

Help us improve