Apply for a Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a Scottish Government scheme which has replaced Council Tax Benefit.  It is means tested, which means it is based on your income and savings, and is available to people who are on a low income or benefits.


You can claim a Council Tax Reduction if you you pay council tax and have:

  • savings of less than £16,000
  • a low income from benefits or work, including self employment
  • savings of more than £16,000, and you or your partner get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit

If you have a property in bands E, F, G or H, the criteria are different. You can view the Council Tax reduction in bands E, F, G or H page for more information. 

How much you can claim

There is no set amount you can claim. The amount you receive will be calculated based on:

  • money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits and things like occupational pensions
  • you and your partner’s capital savings and investments
  • your circumstances, such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children and whether you or anyone in your household is disabled

Council Tax Reduction will only apply to your Council Tax charge, your water and sewerage charges included on your bill will remain the same.

Find out how your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction will be displayed on your bill.

Benefits calculator

You can use a benefits calculator to check if you can get a Council Tax Reduction before applying.

How to apply

You can apply online using the form below. You can also use the form to find out if you will qualify before making a claim.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

View Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction privacy notice (PDF 47KB).

Contact us

If you need help to claim online please contact our Support and Advice Team