Listed Alphabetically:

Animal Feed Business

If you make, use or market animal feeding-stuffs you will require to be registered with us.This includes most livestock farms and arable farms that grow, use or sell crops for feed as well as producers, hauliers and stores of feed.

Consumer Credit or Hire

If you offer credit or hire facilities (including credit brokers who arrange credit) you require authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority.


If you keep fireworks, shotgun cartridges, certain bird scarers or other explosive products for sale you are likely to require an explosives licence. 

Firework Dispensation

Apart from four traditional firework celebration days the use of fireworks after 23:00 and before 07:00 is not permitted (Fireworks (Scotland) Regulations 2004). However, it is possible for professional display organisers to obtain a dispensation from the Council to hold displays after 23:00. Applications for Dispensations are decided by Area Committees.

Fireworks Dispensation Application (pdf 151KB) 

Petroleum Storage

Storage at petrol filling stations

If you dispense petrol into the tanks of motor vehicles you may require a petroleum storage certificate.

Storage at non workplace premises

If you intend to store over 275 litres of petrol at home, for clubs or at other non-workplace premises you must obtain a license from our Trading Standards team (Petroleum Enforcement Authority, PEA). The license will specify your name and where the petrol is to be kept, and there may be conditions attached. It can be granted for a maximum of three years and is not transferable.

If you intend to store over 30 litres and up to 275 litres, you should notify our Trading Standards team in writing, providing your name and address of the occupier and the storage place.

Below this quantity, there is no requirement to obtain a license however you should still adhere to the following safe practices:

  • petrol should be stored in suitable portable containers, one demountable fuel tank or a combination of both
  • petrol should not be stored in living accommodation
  • petrol should not be dispensed at the storage place
  • if the storage place is not in the open air, ensure it has a direct exit to the open air and is ventilated to it
  • all reasonable precautions should be taken in the storage place to prevent any sources of ignition or heat that would be liable to ignite petrol or its vapour
  • petrol should only be used in the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine or in small quantities (not exceeding 150 ml at any one time) for cleaning or as a solvent

View further information on the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014.

For information on fees or any other inquiry contact our Trading Standards team.    


Sellers of Part II poisons no longer require a local authority licence. Home users of poisons and explosive precursors must now have a valid Explosives Precursors and Poisons (EPP) licence issued by the Home Office and an associated photographic identity document. Further details can be found on the government website.

Help us improve