Petroleum storage certificate

If you dispense petrol into the tanks of motor vehicles you may require a petroleum storage certificate. Dispensing means manual or electrical pumping of petrol from a storage tank on workplace premises.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 make it a legal requirement for such premises to hold a valid Petroleum Storage Certificate granted by our Trading Standards team (Petroleum Enforcement Authority, PEA).

Petroleum Storage Certificates are issued for the workplace premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to person or company. The certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either prescribed material changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months.

Conditions are not attached to the Petroleum storage certificate, but the site operator is required to comply with the Dangerous Substances and Explosives Atmospheres Regulations 2002 and any other relevant Health and Safety legislation.

For non-workplace premises, if you intend to store over 275 litres, you will need a petroleum storage licence. To apply for this licence please contact the Trading Standards team
View more information about storing petroleum for the workplace and non-workplace premises

How to apply

You can apply for or renew a petroleum storage certificate in paper or online. View petroleum storage certificate privacy notice (PDF 97.2KB).

Apply in paper

To apply in paper, please contact our Trading Standards team. They will work with you and provide you with a pre-populated application form for your approval.

Apply online

You can apply for a certificate online on GOV.UK website by filling in the appropriate form:

Additional documents

You will need to submit the following documents with your application: 

  • a location plan
  • a drawing of the proposed layout of the dispensing premises
  • a drawing of the proposed containment system, including storage tanks and pipe work
  • a drawing of the proposed drainage system for petrol

Drawings submitted should be in hard copy format with a scale of 1:100.

Application fees

The keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee set by the Health and Safety Fees Regulations. The fee is calculated according to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site.

Amount stored 1 Year 2 Years 3 Years 4 Years 5 Years
Less than 2,500 litres £44 £88 £132 £176 £220
Between 2,500 litres and 50,000 litres £60 £120 £180 £240 £300
More than 50,000 litres £125 £250 £375 £500 £625

The keeper can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance.

Application process

You need to complete and return your application form together with the additional documents at least 28 days before it is required but no more than six months in advance.

Any application received by us will be processed as quickly as possible and, in any event, within a period of 2 weeks, being the target completion period. This period will run from the time that all of the required information has been submitted and all certificate conditions met. If you have not heard from us within this time, please contact us.

Once granted, the certificate will specify your name and where the petrol is to be kept.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent won't apply for petroleum storage certificates. This means that you cannot assume that the application has been approved if you do not hear from us by the end of the target completion period. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

Contact details

Trading Standards
Aberdeenshire Council
Gordon House
Blackhall Road
AB51 3WA
Telephone: 01467 537222