Aberdeenshire Care and Repair

Aberdeenshire Care and Repair provides a free service offering information, advice and help with repairs, maintenance and adaptations to Aberdeenshire owner occupiers and private landlords’ tenants who are over 60 and/or have a disability.

We can help homeowners by providing:

  • advice and information on practical ways to improve your home
  • a home visit to identify or prioritise the work needed
  • help with arranging quotes for works identified
  • help to arrange professional assistance from specialists, consultants or architects
  • help to make sure the work is completed to an acceptable standard
  • help with contacting services such as Building Standards or Trading Standards to deal with sub-standard work
  • referrals to other agencies who may be able to help with financial health checks and raising funds for repairs

Help provided is aimed at enabling and supporting homeowners or private tenants to live independently at home. Responsibilities covering works completed remain with the homeowner or private tenant and contractors, the same as any other domestic works completed to the property.

View care and repair privacy notice (PDF 83.2KB).

Small repairs

The Small Repair Grant covers small internal and external repairs. The repairs are to ensure safety around the home, prevent the long term deterioration of a property and to make a property more energy efficient. Small jobs that are essential to maintain a persons health and wellbeing will also be considered. 

Health and Social Care clients who are not in the Care and Repair qualifying client group, but who are being support to live independently by Health and Social Care services, can also access the scheme. 

The scheme is also open to unpaid carers who own their own home and who are responsible for caring for someone else in the household who qualifies for the scheme. 

Type of jobs covered by the grant include:

  • roof repairs if there are obvious signs of potential water ingress
  • draughty doors and windows
  • repairs to central heating and hot water
  • security of doors and windows
  • repairing a broken standard amenity, such as a toilet, bath, shower or sink
  • electrical repairs, such as sockets, lights and security lighting

There are restrictions to this service. You must be in receipt of:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (in the support group)
  • Universal Credit Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity grant

In addition the following criteria apply:

  • You must be over 60, or have a disability, or be supported by services from Health and Social Care
  • The homeowner must stay in the property
  • The property must be in council tax band A-D
  • Funding will be provided for jobs estimated at around £250
  • Outbuilding such as garages and conservatories are not covered

Clients will be offered a choice of local contractors or can source their own, but all contractors will need to be registered with Care and Repair before work starts. Responsibilities covering works completed remain with the homeowner and the contractors, the same as any other domestic works completed to the property. 

Please note that our Small Repair Grants take time to administer and approve, and therefore are not suited to urgent issues or emergency repairs. If you do have any emergency or urgent issues we are able to provide you with the contractors details to call directly. 

If you wish to apply for a Small Repair Grant please phone 01467 534753 or email to request an application form. 


Adaptations to a property may be needed to help you live independently. There are two types of adaptation:

  • major adaptations - altering the fabric or structure of the building
  • minor adaptations - small, inexpensive changes

Major adaptations, supported by an occupational therapist, qualify for a grant.

Our Care and Repair Service and Adaptation Grants leaflet (PDF 440KB) details the funding you may be entitled to, who can apply, how to apply and the type of work that qualifies for a grant.

Call our occupational therapy service on 0345 608 1206 to make a referral for adaptations to your home. 

Fire Detection Upgrades

If you require any support or information on how to adjust your home to the new fire safety standards, our Environmental health team have information and support for the new Fire Safety legislation. You can also contact them by calling 01467 539039

Struggling to pay for repairs

If you are struggling to pay for necessary repairs to your property, or if you are experiencing financial difficulties in general, there are organisations that may be able to help. Our Money and Benefits Advice Team can contact you to ensure you are accessing all the benefits you are entitled to, or to recommend organisation that can help you with your situation. 

If you are in urgent need you may also be able to apply for a Scottish Welfare Fund Crisis or Community Care grant

Contact us

For more information about Aberdeenshire Care and Repair call 01467 534753, or email