During council home upgrades

To make sure your home improvements go smoothly for everyone:  

What you need to do

The contractor will tell you when they need to access your home to do the work. Please help us by:

  • keeping any appointment they make with you
  • giving access to them to do the work
  • supervising children and pets to keep them away from work areas, tools, machinery, site containers and work materials
  • not smoking in work areas
  • following any advice or warning notices given by contractors or staff
  • providing tenant feedback if we ask you to take part in a telephone survey

Health and safety

All our staff and contractors carry identity cards. Please check the identity of anyone entering your home. If you have any doubts about the identity of a person trying to enter your home, do not let them in and contact us for advice. 

If there is a gas supply in your home, the contractor may need to turn this off so there is no risk to you or them during the works. This safely measure can apply during any upgrade. You can be provided with temporary heaters for the time the gas is off.

If you are having internal upgrades, the contractor may also be replacing or fitting new smoke, heat and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors which may require access to your hallways, lounge, kitchen and bedrooms.

Assistance and support

We can offer you assistance and support before, during and on completion of the improvement works:

  • The contractor will employ a Tenant Liaison Officer (TLO) to assist with the upgrade process
  • Our assistance package will offer extra support to tenants in greatest need, helping you to clear cupboards, pack, unpack and a ‘Handy Person’ service to help get your home straight again
  • If you are not approved for the Assistance Package and you are having upgrade works carried out or your home is being rewired, the contractor can still offer you free packing boxes to help you pack up before the work starts
  • For all upgrade works to the inside of your home, the contractor may offer you shared short-term day time ‘hospitality facilities’ close to your home
  • Housing Occupational Therapist (OT) can advise if you need any adaptations as part of the upgrade
  • We can organise alternative accommodation if your special circumstances mean that you have to move out of your home temporarily 

If you want to speak to us to find out more about how this assistance and support could help you, please contact us and ask for the Stock Condition Surveyor for your area.

Tenant feedback

It is important that you have the chance to provide feedback in relation to the work that we carry out to your home.

We may contact you by telephone on completion of the work to seek your views. An independent research company, IBP, undertakes these telephone surveys. Your feedback will provide us with valuable information and enable us to continually improve the service we offer you.

You can also send feedback directly to our Feedback Team by email at feedback.team@aberdeenshire.gov.uk or by post to:

Feedback Team
Woodhill House
Westburn Road
AB16 5GB

Help us improve