Community Transport Services
- Available community transport services
- Aberdeenshire Community Transport Forum (ACTF)
- Community transport training
- Community transport funding
This list highlights some of the community transport services operating within the Aberdeenshire area. Please note that this list is not comprehensive - there are other projects that provide voluntary transport on an informal basis.
- Alford Car Transport Service (ACTS)
- Ballater Royal Deeside Ltd
- Banffshire Partnership Rural Transport Hub
- Deeside Community Transport Group
- Mearns and Coastal Healthy Living Network
- Mearns Community Transport
- Oldmeldrum Hospital Visiting Service
- Pitmedden Community Bus
- Portlethen and District Community Ambulance
- Silver Circle Community Transport
- Hospital Voluntary Driver Scheme
- Volunteer Driver Service
- Royal Voluntary Service (formerly WRVS)
The aim of the charity is to enable people to attend health and similar related appointments, where public or family transport is unavailable or inappropriate.
This service is not restricted to older people. We are pleased to help anyone who has a genuine need and has no one to help with transport. For those with special needs who wish to take an escort or wheelchair/walking aid with them, we do ask for more notice. We can also transport children but ask that a parent/guardian accompanies the child.
Passengers are not charged for the service but may wish to contribute to the charity. Envelopes addressed to ACTS are available for this purpose.
The journeys we cover include:
- hospital admissions and discharges
- hospital appointments
- hospital visits
- GP surgery
- dentist, optician and chiropodist
- nursing home visits
- carer and other group meetings
- compassionate needs
How to book
To make a booking phone 019755 64237, preferably between 10 and 12am, Monday to Friday. An answering machine facility is available at other times. If possible please give at least 24 hours notice.
If you need to cancel or postpone a journey, please contact us immediately.
All our drivers are volunteers who give their time freely to help those in need, especially in our rural area where transport is non-existent or unsuitable.
Drivers must have a full driving licence and full comprehensive insurance cover. They are provided with an ID card.
If you would like to volunteer as a driver, phone 019755 64237 between 10-12am Monday to Friday.
Ballater Royal Deeside Ltd. has a community minibus that is available for use by local community groups.
Ballater Royal Deeside Ltd.
The Old Bank House
Telephone: 013397 55467
This volunteer car scheme provides transport from the Oldmeldrum area for hospital visiting. Lifts are provided to Aberdeen hospitals on Wednesdays and Inverurie hospital on Thursdays.
The service is provided by the Church of Scotland Pastoral Care Committee, telephone 01467 620401.
This service is run by volunteers to provide people from the Tarves and Pitmedden areas with transport to Ellon Episcopal Church.
The bus leaves Tarves at approximately 10.25am on Sunday, returning at 12.30pm. This service operates on passenger demand. To book a place on the bus phone 01358 720366.
Contact the Strathdon Medical Centre (telephone: 019756 51209) if you need transport for appointments to:
- Local Clinics
A contribution is expected towards expenses:
- £5 for journeys to Aberdeen and Huntly
- £3 for journeys to Alford and Aboyne
- £1 to local clinics in Strathdon
Co-ordinated by The Silver Circle Support Group. Funded by a grant from Aberdeenshire council plus contributions and local fundraising.
The Aberdeenshire Community Transport Forum (ACTF) was established in June 2001 to improve communication between the Council and local community transport providers. It aims to provide a forum for the exchange of best practice, and to allow debate on issues of mutual interest. Forum meetings are attended by various community transport operators, representatives of the Council, the local Community Transport Association Development Worker, and other interested parties.
If you are currently involved in voluntary or community transport provision or are considering setting-up a local project and you are interested in attending Forum meetings, contact Passenger Transport Unit by emailing email@example.com or phoning 01467 538103.
For advice on setting-up and developing a local community transport scheme please contact the Community Transport Association on 0345 130 6195 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following community transport training is available:
- Local Training for Minibus Drivers (training in MiDAS, minibus driver awareness scheme)
- Local Training for Passenger Assistants (training in PATS, the CTA-sponsored Passenger Assistant Training Scheme)
- Fire and Evacuation from a Minibus
- Community Transport Association (CTA) Training
Local groups offering community transport training:
- Banffshire Partnership, Boyndie, telephone 01261 843598 (training for minibus drivers and passenger Assistants)
- Buchan Dial-a-Community Bus, Maud, telephone 01771 619191 (training for minibus drivers, Passenger Assistants training and fire and evacuation training)
- Mearns Community Transport, Laurencekirk, telephone 01561 377000
We are able to offer small one-off grant funding of up to £3,000 to assist groups who would like to provide a new community transport service, or to help existing groups to pilot a new service or purchase equipment not already grant funded.
To find out more please call 01467 539084.