National Entitlement Card for over 60s and disabled people

If you are over 60, or have a disability, you could be eligible for free bus travel to get around Scotland and your local area. The National Entitlement Card (NEC) scheme also allows for free travel for companions where required by eligible disabled people of any age, including children under 5:

Existing cards: renew, replace or update your details

You can manage your card online via The portal lets you request a renewal or replacement of your existing card and update your details.

You will have to sign in to access the portal. If you already have the myAberdeenshire account, you can sign in with your myAberdeenshire details

Alternatively you can contact us by phone or email to request to renew or replace a card. Please provide your name, date of birth, address details and a reason for replacement.


Please see the eligibility criteria on before applying. 

How to apply

You can apply for an over 60s NEC from two weeks before your 60th birthday. We will not be able to process any applications received before this date. 

Supporting documents

You need to provide the following with your application:

  • proof of person
  • proof or photograph
  • proof of residence
  • proof of your disability if applicable

For more information on acceptable proofs visit the NEC website. Please note that proofs provided have to be original only if you are returning the application in person. If you are applying by post, email, or online, please send copies of the evidence.

Apply online

You can apply online via the website, where you will have to sign in to access the form. You can sign in with your myAberdeenshire details if you already have an account. 

Sign in with myAberdeenshire 

Apply on paper

To apply on paper, please complete the National Entitlement Card application form (PDF 194KB). You can also request a copy of the form by contacting the NEC team or collect it from one of our service points.

Completed applications should be returned to us via email where possible. If emailing is not possible and you can validate documents at our offices accepting applications, or send your application by post to our NEC office.

Please be aware that applications submitted using a paper application will take considerably longer to process.

Apply at a post office

You might be able to apply for a bus pass at a post office. Not all post offices offer this service so please check where the document validation service is offered first. 

The application form available at post offices is different from the council form. If you apply using the post office form, which is blue, you can either validate the application there or or email your application to us. The post office won’t be able to validate it if you apply using the council form.


Telephone: 03456 081208

Freepost Access Aberdeenshire
Woodhill House
Westburn Road
AB16 5GB