Young Person's National Entitlement Card

The Young Scot National Entitlement Card offers access to a variety of services for young people aged 11 to 25. Specifically for those Young Scot cardholders aged 22 and under, this also allows access to the Young Persons’ Free Bus Travel Scheme.

You can find more information on the Young Persons Free Bus Travel Scheme on the schemes website. On this page you can find out:

Existing cards: renew, replace or update your details

You can manage your card online via The portal lets you request a renewal or replacement of your existing card and update your details.

You will have to sign in to access the portal. If you already have the myAberdeenshire account, you can sign in with your myAberdeeshire details

Alternatively you can contact us by phone or email to renew or replace a card. Please provide your name, date of birth, address details and a reason for replacement.

A video guide is also available for those applying for a replacement card to include free bus travel


Young adults aged 16 to 21 can apply for their own National Entitlement Card. Those aged 22-25 can also apply for free travel if they are volunteering full time. 

Parents/carers of 5-15 year olds need to apply on their children's behalf so they can give their consent for the free travel aspect of this card. A video guide is available to assist you with this application process. 

Disabled children under 5

The Scottish Parliament passed legislation, on 3rd March 2021, that extends the existing National Concessionary Travel Scheme (NCTS) to eligible disabled children under the age of five, allowing free bus travel for them and an accompanying companion.

Find out more about conditions and eligibility for accompanying companion.

As of 1st April 2021, parents of eligible disabled children can apply and access free bus travel as soon as their National Entitlement Card arrives. If you have any questions about this please contact us.

How to apply

We require the following documents to process your application:

  • One Passport-style photograph of yourself, head and shoulders taken on light background
  • Proof of your Age
  • Proof of your most recent permanent address
  • Proof of Photo ID such as: photo driving licence or passport
  • Proof of disability if applicable

If you do not have a passport or driving licence, a Referee will need to validate the photo.

The Referee must be someone that knows you but is not a relative, and is in a professional occupation such as teacher, nurse, community worker, social worker, police officer or a religious leader. They must write the following on the back of your photo "I confirm true likeness of {your full name}" and sign and date the back of the photo. Part 5 of the Application must also be completed by the Referee.

View more details about what documentation is required for proof of disability

Apply online

If your child is aged 5 to 10 years old you can apply via the Parents Portal.

For all other ages you can apply online via the website, where you will have to sign in to access the form. You can sign in with your myAberdeenshire details if you already have an account. 

Sign in with myAberdeenshire 

Apply on paper

If you attend an Aberdeenshire council secondary school you may be able to apply for a card there, when these are in normal operation. Check with the school office to see if this is possible.

If you have left school, attend a private school, or attend one of the council secondary schools where applications are not available please complete and return the National Entitlement Card application form (PDF 194KB). You can also contact the NEC team for a copy of the form.

Once you have completed the application please return it to alongside supporting documentation.

Please be aware that applications submitted using a paper application will take considerably longer to process.


Telephone: 01467 533744

Freepost Access Aberdeenshire
Woodhill House
Westburn Road
AB16 5GB