Scotland-wide free bus scheme (National Entitlement Card)
The Scotland-wide free bus travel scheme for older and disabled people is open to holders of a free National Entitlement Card (NEC).
If you are over 60 or have a disability, you could be eligible for free bus travel to get around Scotland and your local area.
Over 60s eligibility
To be eligible for the NEC, you must be:
- over 60 years old
- a resident of Scotland
Disabled people eligibility
To be eligible for the NEC, you must:
- be over 5 years old
- reside in Scotland
- meet one of the disabled people eligibility criteria
Please note that we won't be able to process applications made more than 2 weeks before the 60th birthday. After applying online, please wait 24 hours before visiting a validation office with your supporting documents.
You can apply online through the NEC portal.
Once you have completed the application please return it to your most convenient office for validation along with the appropriate documentation to support your application.
If your application is urgent, we recommend that you return it to a council office.
You can manage your NEC card online through the NEC online portal. The portal allows you to update your photo or request a replacement card.
If you are over 60 or have a disability, when applying for an National Entitlement Card, you also need to provide:
- a recent photograph of passport quality and standard
- proof of person (official document with a photo such as passport, driving licence, etc.)
- proof of residence (utility bill, council tax bill, TV licence, bank statement, etc.)
For more information on acceptable proofs visit the proofs page on the NEC website.
Additional supporting documentation for disabled people
If you have a disability you will also need to provide additional supporting documentation as proof of your disability.
The documentation you will need to provide depends on the type of disability that you have. View the detailed list of documents corresponding to each disabled persons eligibility criteria.
For any questions about the National Entitlement Card please contact the NEC team.
- Aboyne Social Work Office
- Banchory Social Work Office
- Banff Service Point
- Ellon Service Point
- Fraserburgh Aberdeenshire Support and Advice Team (ASAT)
- Huntly Service Point
- Inverurie Service Point
- Kincardine and Mearns Area Office
- Laurencekirk Housing and Social Work (open from 9am to 1pm only)
- Peterhead Service Point
- Portlethen Social Work Office
- Turriff Service Point
In addition the following locations accept and validate forms for the over 60s:
- any Aberdeenshire main post offices
- Alford Library
- Inverurie Library (closed from 2pm on Tuesdays)
- Westhill Library
Post offices may take longer to validate your form. Please check the time scale with the individual post office.
If you have any specific queries regarding the application process, or would like to know what other services can be added to your card please contact: