Home education

We are committed to working with parents to make sure that their children can get the best possible start in life. This includes providing all children with education that meets their needs and recognising that some parents may wish to educate their children at home.

Find out more about:

You can also view the full home education guide for parents (PDF 137KB) and find more about home education including mental health, careers and financial support.

There is a difference between home learning and home education. Home learning involves everything within your home that impacts on your child's development and learning. Home education instead is about removing your child from school and teaching at home

Legal position

As a parent or carer you have a responsibility to provide education for your child. This can be done by enrolling your child at school, or by other means such as home education.

You have the same rights to choose home education if your child has additional support needs.

If your child already attends a local authority school you must speak to the local authority before you withdraw your child from school for home education.

If the education authority is concerned about the home education being provided to your child they are required by law to take action.

How to withdraw your child from school

You must write to the Quality Improvement Officer for your area, through the Education and Children's Services, asking for consent to withdraw your child from school, and explaining how you intend to educate your child. The Quality Improvement Officer will consider your request and get back to you as soon as possible.

If the Quality Improvement Officer refuses to consent to your child being educated at home you can appeal the decision to the Head of Service (Schools), Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, AB16 5GB.

You do not need to seek consent from the Quality Improvement Officer if:

  • your child has never attended a local authority school
  • you are withdrawing your child from an independent school
  • your child has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary education
  • the school your child was attending has closed

However, in all cases you should get in touch with your local Quality Improvement Officer if you intend to home educate.

Support from the council

You should contact your Quality Improvement Officer, through the Education and Children's Services, if you need advice on any of the following:

  • curricular provision and resources
  • accessing resources from the Aberdeenshire Library and Information Service
  • work experience placements
  • computer hardware and software for children with additional support needs
  • services provided by the Educational Psychology Service

How often we will contact you

Your local Quality Improvement Officer will contact you, usually on an annual basis, to see how the home education of your child is progressing, to offer advice and support, and to answer any questions you may have.

If the Quality Improvement Officer has concerns about the education being provided he or she may be in touch with you more often to help you improve the education you are providing.

You should also free to contact your Quality Improvement Officer at any time, through the Education and Children's Services, for information and advice.