We collect information on the council's performance for two reasons:
- So we know how we are doing and can make improvements
- To keep ourselves accountable to the people of Aberdeenshire and others with an interest in the council
We want to ensure our residents, service users and partners can access information that is relevant to them quickly and easily. We publish a range of performance data during each year. Comprehensive details of our regular publications can be found in our performance reports calendar.
In November 2017 we adopted the council plan which was then updated in October 2020. The plan sets out core priorities and outcomes for the council, setting the strategic direction to be delivered during the life of the plan. Each year we will publish an annual report providing a review of progress delivering the priority outcomes and overall performance improvement including performance based on statutory indicators. The review of progress also reflects the outcomes of external scrutiny, self-evaluation and customer feedback.
Previous years reports
Previous public performance reports and statutory performance reports:
- Annual performance report 2019/20 (pdf 2.8MB)
- Annual performance report 2018/19 (pdf 854KB)
- Annual performance report 2017/18 (pdf 742KB)
- Annual performance report 2016/17 (pdf 718KB)
- Annual performance report 2015/16 (pdf 1.6MB)
- Annual performance report 2014/15 (pdf 247KB)
Our directorates regularly monitor their performance against a set of key outcome and service indicators. They report overall performance to policy and area committees by way of outcome and service indicators, and action plan outputs against planned key projects as agreed within directorate plans. To ensure full scrutiny, twice a year we publish an overview report and comprehensive reports for all indicators and actions.
View directorate plans:
- Business Services directorate plan (pdf 1.1MB)
- Education and Children’s Services directorate plan (pdf 1.1MB)
- Infrastructure Services directorate plan (pdf 1.6MB)
- Health and Social Care Partnership directorate plan (pdf 216KB)
Please note some directorate plans are not at their final stage and will be updated in due course.
Self-assessment and evaluation
As a council we must understand our strengths and where we have areas for improvement. We use the 'how good is our council' framework as our approach to self-assessment and evaluation:
- 2020 How Good is our Governance in Practice Self Evaluation (pdf 523KB)
- 2019 How Good is our Governance in Practice Self Evaluation (pdf 719KB)
- 2015 How Good is Our Council Self Evaluation (pdf 532KB)
- 2014 How Good Is Our Council Self Evaluation (pdf 406KB)
- 2013 How Good Is Our Council Self Evaluation (pdf 713KB)
- 2011/12 How Good Is Our Council Self Evaluation (pdf 1.2MB)
Should you need older copies of these reports or if you have any queries, please contact the Performance team.
The Regulatory Reform (Scotland) Act 2014 includes provisions on promoting regulatory consistency, improving environmental regulation and a duty on regulators to contribute to achieving sustainable economic growth, and gives Scottish Ministers the power to issue a Code of Practice in support of the duty on regulators to contribute to sustainable economic growth. To this end the Scottish Regulators’ Strategic Code of Practice has been developed, and each Council is required to produce an annual statement of compliance with the Code. View the Aberdeenshire Council statement of compliance for 2019 (pdf 422KB).